Bats have furry bodies, which range in the color to include shades of grey, brown, red and tan. The bats are equipped with very poor eyesight. However, they have large ears in order to compensate the poor eyesight. Bats are the only mammals that have the ability to fly. Their light wings provide an excellent support to them when flying. The bats can also be categorized into pests. Therefore, it is always better to have controlled populations around homes.
It would be frustrating to have bats around your home. Some might say that it is beneficial to have bats because they eat mosquitoes and other bugs. But you would not want to deal with the frustration of having bats in your attic. In that kind of a situation, you need to look for a convenient method to get rid of them. People who are looking to get rid of bats are provided with several options to consider about. Here is a list of some effective steps that you can take in order to get rid of bats permanently.
The behavior of bats
Before you start eliminating the bats in your home, you need to have a clear understanding about their behavior. This will make the life easy for you when dealing with the problem. As you already know, bats are nocturnal creatures. They love to sleep in the roosts during day time and get active when the sun goes down. If there is a colony of bats living inside your home, they would crawl to the edge and fly out. Usually the bats would make several trips in and out of the building during night time.
How to get rid of bats that are inside a building
Choose the right time of the year
First, we will see how to get rid of bats that live inside a building. In order to get rid of bats that live in a building, you need to choose the right season of the year. Otherwise, you will not be able to receive the best results. Moreover, you need to figure out whether you are dealing with a nursing colony of bats. If you eliminate the adult bats, the pups would not be able to fly out and they would die inside the building. Within United States, the maternity period of bats is between 1st of May and 31st of August. It would be better to eliminate bats during this time of the year to receive effective results.
It is not a good idea to get rid of bats during the winter season. That’s mainly because the bats hibernate during that season and they will not have enough food to survive. While chasing away bats from your building, you should also keep in mind that your intention is not to kill them. It is your responsibility to protect them. In case if the bat population is decimated, you would have to deal with nasty insects such as garden pests and mosquitoes. Therefore, you need to figure out the right time of the year to chase away bats from your building.
Locate the entry points of bats
Keeping your eye on bat droppings can be considered as the most convenient method available to locate the entry points. The bat droppings have a crumbly texture and are sparkly in the sunshine. There is a clear difference in between mice droppings and bat droppings. Therefore, you will be able to figure out the entry points of bats without much hassle. While you are looking for bat droppings, you need to keep several important facts in your mind. You should never inhale the droppings because it can deliver flu-like symptoms. You should also keep in mind that bats can easily fit through even small holes. The most common entry points of bats include missing or loose tiles or shingles, poorly fitted or broken screens, cervices and cracks were siding forms corners, places where dormers meet the roof, places where porches are attached to the main part of the home, places where walls meet eaves, locations where writing or pipes enter the building and places where boards or flashing have come loose.
Once you figure out all the entry points of bats to your building, you need to take necessary measures to prevent re-entry. Two different methods are available for you to prevent the re-entry of bats to your building.
- Performing repeated sealing can be considered as one of the most effective methods available for the people to prevent the re-entry of bats to a building. The bats would leave the building to feed during the night time. At that time, you can simply staple or nail a screen. Or else, you can fine hardware cloth over the opening where bats enter your building. This can deliver immediate results to you. In fact, you would see that a lot of bats have left your building by next night. You will have to continue the same procedure for the next night as well. In other words, you need to remove the covering so that the remaining bats can go out of your building to feed. If you can do this about one week, you will be able to chase away all the bats inside your building.
- Using one-way devices is another effective way available for you to prevent the re-entry of bats to your home. This is the method used by professionals to chase away bats. These devices can be removed when all the bats inside the home go away. Then the holes or the entry points can be sealed permanently. It is possible for you to purchase these one-way devices from the market at a reasonable price tag. It is even possible for you to make your own one-way devices at home. You just need to get some empty caulk containers or PVC pipes. Plenty of tutorials about creating one-way devices can be found out there on the Internet. You just need to refer such a tutorial and follow the steps.
How to get rid of bats outside your building
Now you have a clear understanding about the steps that you need to take in order to get rid of the bats that can be found inside your home. The next step is to figure out how to get rid of bats that can be found outside your building.
You can use mothballs to get rid of the bats that can be found outside your building. You just need to get some mothballs and put them in square shaped cheesecloth. Then you can tie it to create a sack. This sack can then be tied around the place where bats are nesting. You need to leave it until all the bats are gone. That’s because the odor that comes out of mothballs would discourage bats from nesting. In some cases, you will have to follow this procedure more than once because the bats would come back again after some time.
Use a pet repellent
You can also think about using a pet repellent in order to get rid of bats that can be found around your building. Aerosol cat or dog repellents can be found out there in the market and you just need to purchase one of them. Then you can think of spraying the places where bats hang around in your building. However, the pet repellent should only be used during the day time because the bats are not around their nests at that time.
Use a water spray
You can also think about using a water spray in order to get rid of bats around your building in an effective manner. Before you use a water spray, you need to check whether the bats are roosting under roof eaves, under high foundations and under columns. In case if you see bat dung, you can come to a conclusion that they are roosting at that place. Next you need to take out the hose and spray water to that area. The spray of water should be powerful enough to move the bats, even during day time. The water would scare away the bats, but it would not hurt them. Spraying water should be done continuously in order to chase away bats permanently. The bats would not tolerate repeated disturbances. As a result, they would make the decision to move somewhere else. However, the bats would come to the same area again after some time. If you want to get rid of it, you should put something else that discourages them from coming back. You can think of using Mylar strips or bat repellants for that.
Important steps to keep in mind when eliminating the bats
The above mentioned methods have the ability to assist you with eliminating bats from your building and the surroundings. However, you need to keep several important facts in your mind to receive positive results within a short period of time. Here is a list of facts that you should keep in mind when dealing with bats.
- Before you start eliminating the bats, you need to perform a complete inspection of your building. This will assist you to get a better understanding on how bats come in and get out of your home. You can also go through online articles that are written about bat inspection. If you try to eliminate bats without proper background knowledge, you will find it as a hard task to deal with them.
- You should also perform an attic inspection before you start eliminating the bats. This will assist you to get a better understanding about the species of bat that lives in your attic. In fact, different bats have different hibernating and birthing seasons. If you can get to know about the specific types of bats that live in your attic, you will be able to get to know about the right time of the year to get rid of them.
- You should never try to trap the bats. Instead, you can simply exclude them from your home. Bat trapping is not only inhumane. It can lead you towards more serious issues in the long run. You can simply let them fly out of your home by following the above mentioned methods. If you do it in the right way, the bats would not fly in to your home after some time.
- It is important for you to seal up the entire house if you need to keep the bats away permanently. If you can start sealing the house before exclusion, you will be able to receive more efficient results. However, you need to be careful not to seal up the primary exit points in your home because you need to let them fly out.
- It is also important for you to clean the walls or attic when the bats fly out. This will assist you to make your home a better place to live again.
Bat trapping and removal services
If you find it as a difficult task to get rid of the bats on your own, it is better to seek the assistance of a professional bat trapping and removal service. You will be able to discover a large number of bat removal service providers in your local area. However, it is always better to go through customer testimonials before you spend your money on a specific service. The customer reviews will assist you to get a better understanding about the type of service that you would receive at the end of the day. The cheapest service provider would not be able to offer the best service to you. Therefore, you should give more priority towards the customer reviews instead of the service fee. The amount you spend on such a service would be worth when compared to the benefits that you receive.