Have you encountered some small, flying insects with long legs that just seem to destroy a variety of plants? These are called gnats , they are some of the weakest fliers around. But don’t let that fool you, gnats are very bad for your fruits and veggies mainly because they will feed on plants. This means that your garden can easily get ruined if you don’t find the proper way to remove them. Sure, some of the gnats species feed on blood, but the reality is that most of them are feeding on leaves and sometimes even the fruit itself.
How can you perform gnat control?
The best thing you can do in order to avoid any fungus gnats is to see if there are any plants with wet soil, all you have to do is to leave the soil to dry until the next watering is complete. Keeping the soil wet will offer these insects the perfect location to reproduce and you want to avoid that the best way you can. If you do find adult gnats, you can remove them with a vacuum cleaner. Adults can be found roaming around plants or they can be near windows as well.
Locating and correcting the food source of the gnats is mandatory. Also, you have to keep in mind that if the fruits are exposed to the open air, gnats can easily appear. Fruits kept in the refrigerator are a much better option in this situation. Also, you should try and water plants only when they are in dire need of water, because adding too much water is the perfect opportunity for insects to reproduce and you certainly want to avoid such situations at all times.
How can you identify gnats?
There are multiple types of gnats and fruit flies, all you have to do is to know how to identify them properly. There can be a challenge in doing so especially if some of them are pretty much looking the same. Gnats are small and most of the time they are black in color which is quite demanding to say the least.
Most of the time people will have to deal with the house plant gnat. This is a species that will appear from the potted plants. This is usually the case when plants have low quality soil. It’s important to note that their lifespan is not that high to begin with, most of the time they live around a week.
Yet another gnat type that’s really common is the drain fly. Just like the name suggests, this type of gnat can be found near the kitchen and bathroom. The real issue here is that they are reproducing so fast that it can be hard to control and eliminate them. With that in mind, you should try and find some remedies to help you eliminate these as fast as you can, otherwise there will be quite a lot of problems.
The fruit flies do have a similar look with the gnats, but they are a little larger if you compare their size. There’s also a minor difference when it comes to color as well, with the fruit flies having a browner tone in their head area. On the other hand, the gnats are fully black, so the difference can indeed be seen if you look closely. However, you will need a microscope to be able to actually tell them apart. Thankfully, if you are wondering how to get rid of gnats, the solutions in this article will eliminate both gnats and fruit flies as well.
Not all gnat removal solutions will work immediately, so if you do want to get rid of gnats fast, the best way to do that is to work with quality gnat control products. The reality is that these type of products aren’t that expensive to begin with, which is why you should focus on using them right now.
The Gnat Stix is an amazing product if you want to deal with gnats that appear due to the garden soil. The product isn’t toxic at all which is why you should try it. Plus, using The Gnat Stix is easy since all you have to do is to put the sticks in the pots and then you can see the fungus gnats as they disappear in a short amount of time.
Fruit Fly Trap
There is the option to create a home made trap, but not all of us have the time to do such a thing. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is to purchase a trap that’s already made by professionals. Usually, the trap has a container shaped as an apple and you have to place a liquid that resembles food there. When the insects will come in, they will get trapped inside the apple and they will die there since they can’t get out at all.
Fly Web Fly Trap is a device that’s basically a trap at its core. You can see it as a much better and sometimes even permanent solutions. Fly Web Fly Trap is a trap that will showcase a specific type of light which helps attract a variety of insects including gnats. Inside the trap there’s an adhesive glue board and the gnats will be trapped there immediately.
Home Remedies for Kill Gnats
Yes, home remedies can deliver some amazing results if you want to get rid of gnats and the results will certainly be well worth it to say the least. However, the best possible way you can use to eliminate them needs to be placed right near the source. If your gnats are coming from the plant pot, then address that location, same for the drain region and so on.
As you can expect, home remedies can’t possibly offer 100% accuracy for all people, which is why you have to assess the situation at first. Sometimes the issue is too complex and you have to call in a professional. Yet it’s a good idea to try the home remedies before you work with a professional, because it might be quite helpful in the end.
- Gnat traps are certainly a solid investment since it does help you eliminate gnats in a natural manner and without any major hassle. Plus, you won’t have to use any pesticides, it’s a lot simpler than any other method and it’s certainly a lot more refined as well which is great to keep in mind.
- Vinegar traps can also be useful as well. You should try to acquire a container first and in that container you should place water, dish soap, sugar and apple cider vinegar. You should always try to place the container as close as possible to the region where you have gnats. The apple cider vinegar will immediately grab the attention of these insects and you can eliminate them without a problem. Keep in mind that you can create and add in multiple containers if you want.
- Believe it or not, but if you pour bleach in your sink you can actually deal with this issue better and a lot faster than ever before. However, don’t just pour it in the sink immediately, instead a very good idea is to try and dilute it at least a little bit because it can be damaging for your sink in the long run. There are a few persons that managed to fill drain gnats with ammonia as well, but remember that you should never mix ammonia with bleach. Use these separately and on different occasions as they might come in handy either way. Keep in mind that you should use both mouth and eye protection when you are pouring the liquids.
- Get a small container and place some wine in it. That’s a very good option and one that will work pretty much the same as a vinegar trap. It really is a solid solution that will help you quite a lot for sure.
- You can also use fogging products. These are great if you have a larger gnat infection that you just can’t address any other way. It’s imperative to find the proper fogging product though, because some will work better indoors while others are suitable for outdoor use.
- Rotten fruit tricks are a very good idea and it’s basically requiring you to get a container, place a rotten fruit inside then wrap it in plastic. Pinch a few holes and wait to see as the gnats will go inside the trap and die.
How to avoid having gnats?
Usually it depends on the situation, but a very good idea is to:
- avoid having damp areas
- eliminate trash bags from your home or cover them
- clean up all your dirty dishes
- always try to change the pot soil often
As you can see, dealing with gnats is not that hard, all you have to do is to know how you can deal with them efficiently. Sure, it will be a little challenging at first but that’s why you should try to use the home remedies whenever you can. If you still can’t remove gnats from your home, it’s better to call a professional, but these remedies might work most of the time!